Saturday, September 20, 2014

twenty: day in the life

My life as a camp director is quite cyclical. Summer camp is all consuming from 7am to 10pm but filled with lots of activity, laughter and people. Winter is slow with bursts of weekend activity and the fall and spring lie somewhere in between. Here's a somewhat typical fall day to answer the blogtember challenge,

Sept 20th: Share a day in the life. Pictures, timelines, stats, however you like.



My alarm typically goes off between 7-7:30 but my fingers usually find the snooze button 2-3... or more... times. I really like the mornings when it's on my terms but when I have to rush to get ready it's not my favorite. Lately I've been trying to exercise or do my daily Bible reading in the morning, even though it's hard to get out of bed I always feel better if I do something. I shower pretty much every morning, this curly hair kind of requires it if I don't want to look mop-like and I like listening to podcasts while I get ready. After breakfast I head out on my "daily commute" a quick walk or bike ride through the wooded trails from my house to my office, usually with coffee in hand. I'm an expert at simultaneous biking and coffee balancing.


Once I get to my office I flip my daily quote calendar, say good morning to the 4 interns I supervise and turn on my computer and coffee warmer. At this time of year we're preparing for 3 women's retreats weekends so I'm planning activities, schedules, decorations, communicating with speakers and bands, as well as preparing for winter youth retreats, mens retreats and wrapping up summer details. While some days are pretty normal at my desk there are many other "less normal days" where I get to live the camp life doing things like making giant chandeliers, interviewing for a tv spot, driving jeeps on the sand dunes, strutting around in giant underwear, smashing cars, investing in the lives of college students, wearing cow costumes, working the top of the zipline and buying hundreds of dollars worth of chocolate. Those are good days :)


In the busy times of year we eat at the camp dining hall a lot but if there aren't meals we head home around 5-5:30 and make dinner. If it's a Monday we're playing volleyball, Tuesdays I lead Bible study at our house and every other Thursday we have our church small group. We also like to take advantage of the beautiful area we live in and watch the sunset on the sand dunes, bike to Lake Michigan or go canoeing when we get the chance. Right now a lot of our evenings end with an episode of Chuck on Netflix.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good life.

Brave Love Blog
post signature

3 comments :

  1. I love that you used the word "cyclical" and then your second photo is a bicycle :) Not sure if that was on purpose, but it was pretty amazing for someone who loves puns! :-) Your normal days sound productive and busy, but full of great moments, while your not-normal days sound super adventurous (zip lining freaks me out!). Glad I found you through the blogtember challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elle! It was not on purpose but I have a serious love for puns so I'm glad you pointed it out. I guess I just can't help myself! Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love getting a sneak peak into the daily lives of other directors! We are not on-site during the fall/winter but when we are I often say that my favourite thing is living 20 feet away from my office, the daily commute is great and I even pass the coffee pot on my way through!

    ReplyDelete