Sunday, September 7, 2014

seven: what I read {blogtember edition}

Remember when I missed day 5 about passion? I get nerdily passionate about books, reading and reading lists. As evidence see this and this and yesterday, I'm pretty sure I talked about books yesterday.

As a middle schooler I remember feeling like I needed to move and go outside but I didn't want to stop reading so I rollerbladed in circles around a basketball court while reading. Impressive, I know.

Here's what my nose has been into lately, the ones that I would recommend at least. For more check out my goodreads list. In 2014 I've read 46 books, I better get serious if I'm going to beat last year's 103!


CURRENTLY READING
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
The Daily Chronological Bible (just finished Ezekiel and Daniel, Job is up next!)

RECENTLY READ
Christian Living --- The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst
I read this in one day on my personal retreat and filled about 10 pages of notes and journaling. I highly recommend it, I had a "lightbulb" moment about living with a fixed vs. growth mindset and have made some really healthy changes as a result.

Fiction --- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin 
For a book lover this was so fun. It's about a bookseller of a small independent bookstore on an island. Doesn't that sound dreamy?

Fiction --- A Week In Winter by Maeve Binchy 
A perfect vacation read, a story you can get wrapped up in but not too fluffy. Pretty sure I need a trip to Ireland after reading this one!

Non Fiction --- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg 
While I didn't agree with everything in here I found this a really fascinating non-fiction read about women in the workforce. I'm the only female on my immediate team and while I work with a great group of respectful and caring men there were definitely some tips that I picked up from her. If you read on the Kindle the last 30% is references and notes so it's a lot shorter than you think!

ON MY TO READ LIST 
Restless by Jennie Allen 
The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith 
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

ALL TIME FAVORITES
Cold Tangerines, Bittersweet, Bread & Wine all by Shauna Niequist (she's my favorite)
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
 Harry Potter, Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, Chronicles of Narnia (all childhood favorites I'd happily read again)

I'm excited to see what everyone else in the #blogtemberchallenge is reading! Have you read any of my books? What else should I add to my list?
post signature
Brave Love Blog

2 comments :

  1. No I haven't read any of your books so thanks for all of the great recommendations! A Christian Fiction novel I really recommend is called "The Thief" by Stephanie Landsem. I loved it and finished it only about a week ago. I wanted to look you up on GoodReads but can't find a link. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it again yesterday after leaving the comment here on your blog. It's basically the story of the thieves that were crucified along with Jesus. I'm curious to know what you think of it if you read it.

    ReplyDelete