Wednesday, September 3, 2014

three: grown up dreams

Alternatively you could title this, "My Ode To The Library." 

Today's #blogtemberchallenge is... 

Sept 3rd: "When I grow up I want to be...." Feel free to answer as your 5-year-old self or as of now.

When it came time for pre-school I went to the library. Once a week we gathered around our small wooden tables while our parents browsed through the stacks and played with other kids, made crafts, and drew pictures in shaving cream. (In hindsight that one doesn't really fit, I'm not sure what those crazy library people were thinking.) Every week we ended with the librarian reading stories out loud. And that's when 5-year old Abby knew, someday she wanted to be a librarian.

I love the library. I really do. I always have. I have no problem being silent and I love the hush and solemness  found within the tall and dusty shelves. The idea of helping someone find their next great read gets me excited as does cracking open the pages of a book I've never read.


Funny library story, (who has funny library stories? #booknerd) when I moved to my current home as an adult I went to the library right away to get a card and was told that until I would need to be on "library probation" for a month until I could prove I was responsible to return books. The only bad part was that as a part of my probation I could only check out 3 books at a time. For a 5 book regular I could barely stand the restrictiveness. Thankfully I was found worthy and the library and I have reconciled.

I don't work at the library now and maybe I never will but maybe someday that'll be my retirement job and you'll find me leading story time, but probably not letting 4 year-olds play in shaving cream.

The love of reading probably won't ever leave me. In 2013 I read 103 books! In this post I listed some of my favorites. Want to see what I'm currently reading? Check out my GoodReads profile.

Brave Love Blog
post signature

6 comments :

  1. I'm a reader too! Being a librarian would be amazing. Hanging out in a library all day and learning the ins and outs? Sign me up! Going over to check out your list of books right now. I'm keeping track of all the books I've read this year too! Here's mine: http://www.myfavoriteadventure.com/books-i-read-2014/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I don't think I will ever not love reading either : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both readers with adventure in the blog titles? I think we were meant to be friends! Checking out your list now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are out of small town library probation. I watch Good Reads for your book updates and groan if you only post stars and not comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I better start reviewing! Good to know, my friend!

    ReplyDelete