Tuesday, September 9, 2014

nine: I am a D

You know those mock elections they have in high school? They're just for fun and students vote on 'Best Eyes', 'Most Likely To Succeed', 'Cutest Couple', things like that.

Well I was voted, 'Most Enthusiastic'. Does that give you a hint as to my personality type?

And just for fun here's a picture of me at junior prom. That dress made me feel like Belle from Beauty and the Beast because it was yellow and swirled.


I'm an extroverted, task driven, loud, relational person. I haven't done a lot with Meyers Briggs (but the test that Bailey recommended said ESFJ or ESFP) but I do work a lot with the DISC model. The camp I work at uses it with all of our staff and teaches it to groups as part of our leadership training. Understanding yourself leads you to a better awareness of how to flex to work with and understand others.

So on the DISC model I'm a D/I and those are really close but my C/S tendencies are quite low. That means I'm not very analytic, introverted, methodical or people-pleasing.

Ironically my husband and I chart exactly opposite. In our case the whole "opposites attract" is certainly true! Plus, he can reach things on the top shelf, another way we are opposite.

Every time I teach the DISC model I use the analogy of a geode rock, from the outside it's just a rock but on the inside it's colorful, beautiful and surprising. Our personalities are like a geode in that on the inside we're all unique and have thoughts, ideas and feelings that you can't see. Our behavioral styles (the labels like DISC or ESFP) just help us understand each other better, they don't define us. They also don't excuse our actions. Acting like a jerk and bulldozing a team and then saying well I'm just a "D" or a driver doesn't make it ok, constantly interrupting and joking at inappropriate times and then excusing it because you are an "I" doesn't make that acceptable behavior. We're each responsible for our actions, no matter our styles.

In the last 5 years it's been interesting to see how I've balanced a little more, needing introverted alone time, recognizing the hurt in people, slowing down to take time. Maturity all around is just a good thing.

Do you relate to any of my style tendencies? Are there any style excuses you are hiding behind? Today might be a great day to flex a little! Either way, you're perfect because you were created to be uniquely you by a creator who loves you desperately. If that's confusing to you contact me, I'd love to tell you more.

Brave Love Blog
post signature

4 comments :

  1. We always do personality tests with our staff during staff training as well and it's SO interested to see everyone's results. It is so helpful for people to figure out what they need so they can communicate that with others and work together as a team using everyone's strengths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of DISC, I'll have to go check it out!

    I came over from the challenge, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your last paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of DISC before either! Very interesting. I always love learning more about myself by taking tests like that. And your last statements are so, so true.

    ReplyDelete