Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY Envelopes- A Pseudo Tutorial!

I've always been a creative person but of the mind variety, not the hands variety. I can come up with ideas and see them in my mind but when my hands get involved my beautifully, well thought out idea turns into a lumpy, misshapen and sticky mess.

Enter... Pinterest! 

Now I know that many people spend hours trolling through the beautiful images, pinning away and I'm no different. But here's the thing, now that I have plans, directions and pictures to follow I'm suddenly crafty! I usually try 1-2 things a week off Pinterest. Some have been successful and others (homemade jello rollups- more on that later) have been epic fails. 

Here's a little tutorial DIY- pinned it, did it! 

Gotta give credit to the original pin, here.

All you need to start is a magazine page and envelope you're going to copy. 
Fun story- this page came out of a biking magazine and Park Tool is a bike tool company that my husband's grandfather started and now is owned by his uncle. We're sending my brother-in-law a birthday card in a Park Tool envelope- family affair all around! All that to say, pick a page you love for the pictures, pattern or because it reminds you of the person you're sending it to. 



1. Trace the envelope onto the magazine page. You can try to line it up in certain places so the designs show how you like them. On this one, I lined it up so that the park tool emblem would be on the flap of the envelope. It doesn't even have to be perfect (unless you like things meticulous) so trace away! 

2. Cut out the magazine page on the lines and fold it into the existing envelope to get your lines right. 

3. Get yo' glue on and sticky it up! Be careful not to glue the the envelope shut. Been there, done that. 

4. Write your address, add a stamp and to the mailbox it goes! I've sent out about 6 of these and haven't had any problems with non-delivery or returns but if it's a busy pattern I'd slap a white box on the front, just to be safe. 


 VOILA! The finished project! Disclaimer: I am NOT a detailed, perfectionistic (made up word?) person. If you are, I apologize for the stress you are probably feeling due to the mismatched corners. Rest assured, if you trace exactly your envelope will be perfect! 

Let's just take a second and look at this card my handy hubby whipped up for his bro. What a man. 


And there you have it! Cost of this project- FREEEEEEEE!!! 

Here's a little glimpse of some other envelopes I made to send my valentine cards in. 


Send some mail wouldja? It brightens people's days.

No comments :

Post a Comment