Thursday, May 2, 2013

If God Asks Something Crazy

I consider myself a pretty adventurous person. I'm up for trying pretty much anything once. A weird food, adrenaline pumping activity, strange home remedy, whatever. I went through a phase where I got caught up in pretty much anything someone asked (dared) me to do and tried to break a board with my head. NEWSFLASH: It's really hard and if you don't know what you're doing you might end up with a goose egg and some splinters in your nose. Not that I'd know personally...

Even though I'm adventurous I think I have a good head on my shoulders and I think I know when something  is just plain stupid crazy. It matters who asks, who dares. If a friend says to try it, I'm more likely than if a stranger says it but ultimately it's my decision. So why do I try the crazy? Why would I do something potentially dangerous, uncomfortable or weird because someone tells me about it? 

I trust the person asking. I believe they've been there and done it before. I think the risk is worth the reward. 

Recently I started reading the book of Hosea from the Bible with the She Reads Truth community. It's a little book in the Old Testament written by the prophet Hosea and I've never really dug into it before. The most I really knew was from the fictional book, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (which I highly recommend by the way!)

God asks Hosea to do something really crazy, to take a prostitute for a wife and continue to pursue and love her even as she turns away again and again. God uses their relationship to show us his relentless pursuit for us even as we turn away again and again.

God asked Hosea to marry a prostitute...
Noah to build a boat in a dry land...
Abraham to sacrifice his son...
Peter to step out of the boat and walk on water...
Jesus to leave heaven and come to Earth as a small, helpless baby...

Has He ever asked me to do something crazy? Have I missed it? 

Would I recognize it as God's call on my life or would I dismiss the idea as illogical or irrational? 

I don't feel like I've done anything that crazy for God and maybe He hasn't asked yet.

But I sure don't want to miss it when, not if, when He does. 

In order to know if God is asking something crazy of me, I have to know God. To be in His presence, spending time in His word, able to recognize His voice. Only then will I be able to say, "Yes" when he asks me to do something crazy. I pray that I will say yes. 

Because I trust the person asking. I believe He's been there and done it before. I think the risk is worth the reward. 


(Image created by me on picmonkey) 





No comments :

Post a Comment